I must admit that I had not come across this award before but it is a great idea. So firstly thanks to Leslie Ann for coming up with the idea and secondly thanks to Jennifer Shoer for thinking of my blog. I know that “An English Jewish Family’s quest for their roots” is a bit of a mouthful but it seemed a good idea at the time and I hope you find it interesting.
The award asks the recipient to list ten things learnt about any of their ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened them. It also asks the recipient to pass the award along to ten other bloggers who they feel are doing their ancestors proud.
So firstly my ancestors and I include my wife Diane’s ancestors in this:
- I have found that I know nothing about my ancestors prior to them coming to England in the late 19th century from what was then Russia and is now Poland.
- Similarly we know nothing about Diane’s father’s family prior to them coming to England about the same time and from the same area.
- Diane’s maternal grandmother Dinah was Sephardi.
- Diane’s Sephardi line has been in England for over 300 years.
- The first recorded marriage in Diane’s family in England was in 1697 in Bevis Marks Synagogue.
- Diane is distantly related to the actor Peter Sellers, to the first “scientific” boxer Daniel Mendoza and to Rufus Isaacs, first Marquess of Reading and Viceroy of India.
- My oldest grandson is a firstborn child as is his father, as I am, as my father was and his father was. Not sure if it means anything but we had a Pidyon Haben for my oldest son and for my oldest grandson.
- I found that I had a brother who died at the age of 10 months when I was 4 years old.
- Diane has ancestors from Italy, Spain, Gibraltar, Holland, Argentina, Morocco, Russia and of course England.
- Diane and I have found cousins so far in Australia and the USA.
Secondly bloggers that I respect. Jennifer obviously has very similar tastes in blogging to me, since 4 of her awards are to blogs on my reading list. So here goes:
- dearmyrtles-genealogy-blog at http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/
- Dick Eastmans online genealogy blog and newsletter at http://blog.eogn.com/
- Geneamusings at http://www.geneamusings.com/
- Geneabloggers at http://www.geneabloggers.com/
- Genealogy Blog at http://www.genealogyblog.com/
- Genealogy Star at http://genealogysstar.blogspot.com/
- Ancestry Insider at http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/
- Blundering Blindly Backwards at http://blunderingblindlybackwards.blogspot.com/. I wish that I had thought of this name. It sums up everything I do.
- You Don’t Choose Your Family at http://mikeydawson.wordpress.com/
- The Wandering Genealogist at http://wanderinggenealogist.wordpress.com/